Any person who is traveling to Saudi Arabia needs to be aware about the common items that are banned in the Kingdom’s airport. You surely do not want any sort of inconvenience and penalties.
Firstly, upon arriving in the Kingdom, you will have to go through the necessary processes.
- First, you have to proceed to the international terminal for inspection
- Next, you have to present your passport. First timers are required to undergo finger printing.
- All luggages are placed on the Xray machine for examination, manual inspection may be made for a suspected luggage that may contain prohibited items.
- After a luggage is examined, proceed to the exit gate .
Take note that most items related to religious worship of a religion other than Islam is not generally allowed. Alcohol and pork containing items are strictly prohibited. You are also running the risk of being beheaded if dangerous drugs and narcotics are found in your possession. So be very careful and just follow the rules.
The following products are banned from import into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia:
1. Kuwait and Iraq war leftover equipment and machinery
2.Alerting apparatus (such as bells, sirens, burglar or fire alarms…) releasing sounds of police car sirens or of some animals
3.Industrial waste and hazardous refuse
4.Asbestos and products thereof
5.Drink having description of Zamzam (Zamzam is a holy well located in Saudi Arabia)
7.Sarin toxic gas
8.Two, three and four wheeler children’s motor cycles or vehicles with a height not exceeding 50cm from its wheels axle equipped with an engine working on gasoline or gas or any other flammable material regardless of its speed; such vehicles working on batteries are also banned if their speed exceeds 10km/h;
9.Security car radar detection equipment
10.Products manufactured or including parts made in Israel as follows:
11. No Israeli commodities or products of whatever kind and no Israeli coupons or other movable values shall be brought in or imported into the Kingdom. Further, no exchange or trading in the foregoing shall be permitted.
12. Goods and commodities made in Israel or in the production of which any percentage of the products of Israel enters whatever such products may be, shall be considered Israeli whether such goods and commodities come directly or indirectly from Israel.
13. Commodities and products reshipped from Israel or manufactured outside Israel to be exported for the account of Israel or for the account of the persons or bodies shall be treated as Israeli goods
14. Used cars, cars used by the security authorities (police, etc. ……), taxis (including rental cars and used previously by rental companies) and cars that have already been subject to incidents of drowning, fire, collision or toppling or other, which normally have stamped on their registration document (SALVAGE) or any other similar term from another language
15. Used car parts, except for main spare parts (such as transmission, outside body of the cars , differential, engine)
16. Used consumer goods (such as refrigerators, washing machines, fabrics, garments ….. etc.) with the exception of goods used for personal use
17. Old cars (more than five years old) and cars that had traffic accidents or drowning destined to be dismantled and sold in the form of spare parts
18. Appliances and products working only on 127V except: (Plugs and sockets with 127V voltage are allowed to be imported until the year 2026; Light bulbs, which operate on 127V are allowed to be imported until the year 2026; fixed electric fans and suction fans for kitchens and toilets that run on 127V are allowed to be imported until the year 2026, 127V fans incorporating luminaires or other electrical functions are not allowed; appliances and electrical equipment working on a bilateral (dual) Voltage adjustable manually or automatically (100-230) volt are allowed to be imported permanently; spare parts for equipment and electrical equipment and accessories working on 127V are allowed to be imported until the year 2026 (Confirmation/commitment letter shall be collected from the client stating that the products are to be used as spare parts, a remark shall be stated on the CoC in this regard)
19. Forbidden refrigerants in products (ACs, Fridges, Freezers, etc…)
In addition to the above list, the following products are banned from entering the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia:
36. Explosive and radioactive materials, crackers, potassium nitrate of all kinds and potassium chlorate except with an official authorization.
37. All types of fireworks
38. Medicines that do not bear, or are not accompanied by a leaflet bearing the composition and the amount of each component as per the code of practice of the profession of pharmacy and the trade in drugs and medicinal preparations.
39. Commodities with the government logo correctly depicted, which consists of two swords with a palm tree (tall trunk with leaves at the end of it) between them.
40. Nutmeg fruit, its seed and powder. It is only permitted to import nutmeg powder mixed with other spices in the allowable limit, which shall not exceed 20%.
41. Coupons of Hadi (sacrificial animal), sacrifices, ransoms (Fidyah) and charity. (paper document referring to sacrificial animals – sacrifice offered during Hajj; Sheep, camel, cow…)
42. Cameras which permit viewing the body without clothes (naked).
43. Massage devices which are presented in an immoral way.
44. Small cars and bicycles for children, that do not exceed 50 cm in height from the axle, and that are driven by engines powered with gasoline or gas or any combustible material in addition to battery operated cars if their speed exceeds 10 km/hr.
45. Tools and devices used in opening doors and cars (pick-locking)
46. Annoying horns
47. Masquerade masks
48. Imported empty bags bearing brands and labels or food products or cement or logos of companies, except the ones imported for national companies.
49. Transparent feminine cloaks (Abaya) even for personal use.
50. Special types of knives for aggressive purposes like double edged knives, or handheld knives.
51. Entertainment devices with hysterical laughters
52. Atron substance
53. Pencils in the shape of syringes.
54. Commodities with flags of foreign countries marked in significantly large form.
55. Cosmetics which cause irritation to human organs.
56. Prototype of Prophet Mohammad’s stamp (peace be upon him).
57. Commodities which have names & photos of celebrities.
58. Hides of lions.
59. Devices which transmit programs wirelessly (Video Poster).
60. Videophone devices
61. Bags which contain radio or recorder or alarm device
62. Greeting cards with small musical devices which work automatically when the card is moved.
63. Car antennas similar to the ones used by security cars and to wireless telephones.
64. Counterfeit money
65. Potassium Bromate used as an enhancer in bread production.
66. Cars with two exhausts, which work with 450 horsepower force and manual transmission.
67. Devices which are placed behind the driver to alert him in case he falls asleep.
68. Voice Changing Devices
69. Pinhole glasses (that work by laser).
70. Light emitting shoes in which mercury is used.
71. Toys in the shape of human hands, which are placed by some drivers in a prominent way in their cars
72. Electronic Mosque niches.
73. Six-pointed Star.
74. Cars with steering wheels on the right side.
75. Antique gun
In case of doubt, the below website can be used to verify if any product is banned from entering the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by its HS code, you can browse the database or input the HS code and search accordingly as follows:
For example: input the number in the relevant field, if the product is banned the result will be then shown as
“Banned” and depicted as follows:
Banned products may be exceptionally imported with a special authorization from the relevant authority in Saudi Arabia.
Note: In addition to the banned products, products that do not comply with mandatory standards/regulations cannot be imported.
Take note on the following items:
The Saudi Customs welcomes you and reminds every passenger or responsible family member upon arrival or departure that whoever carries cash amounts, bearer negotiable instruments or precious metals exceeding SR60,000 or the equivalent in foreign currency, must declare them to the customs officer and fill out the declaration form. Failure to make declaration will subject them to confiscation, and the bearer will be liable to legal penalties .
Entry of arms, fireworks, fire-crackers, and sharp cutlasses and swords is prohibited unless after having a prior permit from the Ministry of Interior.
Bringing pet to Saudi Arabia requires an official health certificate and examination by the quarantine office.
Birds of All Kinds require a permit from National Commission for Wildlife Conservation and Development.
Medicines of all kinds shall not be released unless after being presented the Ministry of Health’s representative.