The updated process to renew your Iqama or Muqeem card: Given the advancements in technology, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has decided to use online to transform all services from manual processing to online. With this new technology, employers who act as sponsors can now renew the resident card of their employees online.
For those who already have a muqeem card, it has a five year validity. Should your Iqama be expired, the new identity card, Muqeem, will be sent through Saudi post or courier.
In the instance that your sponsor fails to renew your card, there are penalties which is equal to the renewal fee of the Saudi Iqama.
For any type of violation committed, the fine is double the amount of the penalty. After three violations of a resident, they may be deported to their home count. Aside from that, all remittance centers and bank accounts in Saudi Arabia will be frozen.
In case your Muqeem or Iqama is about to expire, be sure to withdraw all your money from the bank. Well, I usually do this for emergency purposes, take it with a grain of salt though. And should your account be frozen, you just need to provide the bank with a copy of your new Muqeem card as well as the remittance center/s so that your account will be reactivated.
General information on your residence card’s renewal.
- You need to renew your Iqama card in Saudi Arabia, 3 days from the expiration date
- The renewal fee of SR 650 for the Iqama/Muqeem card
- For family members and for dependents who are more than 18, there is a SR 500 Iqama/Muqeem card renewal fee
- A fee of SR 2400 payable to the Labor Office when you are in a company with less than 50% of Saudi ownership. You wouldn’t have to pay for 4 expats when you have a small company with less than 10 workers.
- Before the muqeem card’s renewal, residents of some countries (Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Nepal, Kenya, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Thailand and Vietnam) are required to submit the report of their medical tests
After this process has been completed, your iqama will be collected by your sponsor and your muqeem card will be printed in 2 days’ time. However, be sure to remember that you have to collect a letter issued by your employer that your iqama is currently being renewed. In the letter, attach a copy of your old iqama and this will act as your temporary iqama. You don’t want to get caught by a local police strolling without any proof of residence.
- You will be able to get a free SMS from the Ministry of Interior (MOI) about their services after you have registered for it. You can also check out the process for registering with the MOI
- Check the status of your Muqeem Card or Iqama Renewal in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia